Web hosting is the provision of storage place and access on the web for a site. Choosing the right host is one of the trickiest affairs faced by a new Magento admin. A lot of things go into it. This article will provide an overview of hosting a Magento website.
What are the different web hosting platforms available for Magento ecommerce sites?
Windows Web Hosting Servers and Linux Web Hosting Servers are the 2 most popular web hosts used by Magento Ecommerce sites.
- Windows Web Hosting Servers: The Windows OS offers several Magento hosts. However, these are quite expensive due to the several licensing protocols.
- Linux Web Hosting Servers: Linux too offers different web hosts. These come at quite a lower cost.
What are the different types of web hosts?
- Free Hosting: There are web hosts that let you use their disk space for free. In return, it will display its advertisement on your site’s homepage or other page. Some of the free host sites are lycos.com, myspace.com, geocities.com, etc.
- Shared Hosting: Some hosts allow you to share their disk space with other partners. Shard hosting is a cost-effective option for ecommerce sites with a little traffic. The biggest demerit of this type of hosting is that, when high traffic is received by any site in the partnership, the speed of the rest decreases considerably.
- Virtual Dedicated Hosting: In virtual dedicated hosting, you are the virtual owner of your web server; you have a dedicated RAM space and bandwidth. Medium sized ecommerce sites can go for this. However, this is an expensive hosting.
- Dedicated Hosting: In dedicated server, the whole server space works dedicatedly for your site. Since this is quite a costly option, you can go for it if you have a high targeted traffic.
- Collocated Hosting: This hosting type is a safe option that protects your site from accidents or vandalism.
What are the different hosting components?
Disc space, web traffic, processing speed, connection speed, email accounts, email support, databases, server uptimes, backup and FTP, control panel, latest technologies, and customer support are the various features of web hosting.
What are the requirements of Magento Web Hosts?
- OS: Operating System like Windows or Linux x86-32/x86-64 is required by latest versions of Magento Community or Enterprise Edition.
- Web Hosts: Apache 2.x or Nginx 1.7 or IIS
- Data Base: MySQL 5.6 (Oracle or Percona)
- Versions of PHP: PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.5
- Disc space: ½ to 1 GB memory space for the development phase; 1024 MB memory for earlier production phase (256M to 384M disc space for any further installation); and 1 to 2 GB for later production phase if your sites receives hundreds on visitors daily).
- Bandwidth: Higher the bandwidth, faster is the data transfer.
- PHP Memory limit: Depends on the service provider.
Conclusion: Choose a Magento web host that would best suit your budget and requirements. And then, hire Magento ecommerce developer to develop and launch your site. This will ensure that your site looks and works great!